Holiday open houses are a great way to entertain for a crowd.
An ideal menu for 12 to 20 guests would include:
- Sicilian Tart with Chard, Feta, Pine Nuts & Currants
- Cream of Cauliflower and Fennel Soup
- Seeded Focaccia
- Quince-Glazed Ham with Mustard-Horseradish Sauce
- Wild Rice Salad with Celery Root, Acorn Squash and Leek
- Puntarelle and Satsuma Salad
- Allspice, Date and Walnut Bars
- Chocolate-Dipped Macaroons
Be sure to plan a menu with foods that can be served at room temperature, except for a soup, which should be kept simmering on the stove for your guests to help themselves to when they come in from the cold.
Set up a bar right near the front door for your guests, with sparkling water, white wine, and red wine; people are happy to help themselves.
Keep a pot of strong coffee on hand for the drivers, next to a platter of cookies.